Source: Suntory Spirits Ltd.
- Let me get straight to the point. How is Osaka Gas Liquid related to the production of -196℃ Strong Zero?
- Ms. Shono Well, the fruits used to produce -196℃ Strong Zero are ground at our food factory.
- Really? In your factory?
- Ms. Shono Yes. Suntory entrusts us with the grinding only. The maker supplies us with lemons, limes, and other fruits. We freeze the whole fruits at an ultralow temperature, grind them into powder particles of tens of micrometers, and deliver the powder to Suntory.
Grinding foods at room temperature is a relatively common practice, but that may seriously affect the materials. While being ground in a machine, they are exposed to the intense heat produced from grinding, which may denature the protein. In contrast, materials frozen at ultralow temperature can be ground with their flavors and aromas preserved.
- I see. Well, I don't mean to be rude, but do you ensure proper hygiene control?
- Ms. Shono Yes, absolutely. Our food factory has a food hygiene area. In 2018, we acquired FSSC 22000 certification, an international standard for food safety control. Which means our factory already meets the requirement of compliance with HACCP (food hygiene control system), which will be mandatory in Japan from 2020.
HACCP-compliant grinding mills that specialize in food are very rare in Japan. It is safe to say we are the only company that has brought this business to commercialization on this scale. Such strict hygiene control is highly reputed, and Suntory trusts us with the work.
Would you like to see how it works at the factory? Seeing is believing, you know.
- I'd love to!